COUNTRIES AND THEIR MOTTOS
1) “ Unites makes strength”: BULGARIA- has had this motto since the union of two of its part in 19th century. Bulgaria is an active member of NATO and a member of the European Union, United Nations and the founding member of OSCE.
2) “Order and Progress”: BRAZIL- in Portuguese the motto is “Ordem e progresso”. Brazil was colonised by Portugal and it is the only Portuguese speaking country in the Americas. The country’s Roman Catholic population is the single largest in any country in the world.
3) “By reason or by Strength: CHILE- or “Por la razon o la fuerza” in Spanish. The Pacific forms the country’s entire western border with Peru to the north. Bolivia to the north east, Argentina to the east, and the Drake Passage at the country’s southern most tip.
4) “Fear God and honour the Queen”: FIJI. In Fijian it is “ Rerevaka na Kaiou Ka Doka na Tui” . It is an island nation in the South Pacific Ocean east of Vanatu, west of Tonga and South of Tuvalu. The country occupies an archipelago of about 322 islands out of which 106 are permanently inhabited and 522 islets.
5) “Liberty, Equality and Fraternity”: FRANCE- got this motto after the French revolution. It is bordered by Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Andorra and Spain. It is also linked to UK via Chanel Tunnel, which passes underneath the English Channel.
6) “God is Great” IRAQ: the phrase “Allahu Akbar” in Arabic. Shares border with Kuwait, Saudia Arabia to the South, Jordan to the West, Syria to the North West, Turkey to the North and Iran to the East. It has a very narrow section of coastline at Umm Qasr on the Persian Gulf.
7) “ With God’s Help”: MONACO- Usually written in Latin as “ Deo Juvante”. It is the most densely populated country in the world and second smallest independent country. It has more multi millionaires per capita than any other country and is the smallest French speaking country.
8) “ There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his Prophet”: SAUDI ARABIA- is a also a citation from the Koran and this country is well known for being a welfare state since the discovery of oil.
9) “Further Beyond”: SPAIN- in Latin it is “Pius Ultra” . It borders Portugal, Gibraltar and Morocco.
10) “God’s help, the love of the people”: DENMARK- in Danish it is “Guds Hjelp, Folkets Kerighed. Danmarks Styrke”. It borders both the Baltic and North Sea. It consists of a large peninsula, Jutland which borders northern Germany plus a large number of islands, most notably Zealand, Funen, Vendsysswl-Thy. Lolland and Bornholm as well as hundreds of minor islands often referred to as the Danish Archipelago.